Conception Tips for Men – Ways To Improve Male Fertility
Although many believe that fertility is a woman's issue, nearly 20-30% of the time, a male infertility is an obstacle to conception. Man certainly can improve the chances of conception by following simple lifestyle changes. Below are some of the conception tips for men to boost fertility.
- Quit smoking. Smoking significantly reduces sperm count and its motility, the ability to swim by nearly 20%. It also affects the DNA.
- Marijuana reduces sperm production and also lowers testosterone.
- Heavy exercise, junk foods and high alcohol consumption can significantly impair sperm quality and count.
- Wearing tight underwear raises testicles temperature which affects sperm production. Switch to boxers from briefs.
- Avoid hot tubs or saunas and switch to shower. Anthing to keep the testicles temperature down is necessary to boost the sperm production and quality.
- Avoid using laptops for a long time on the laps. Increase in scrotal temperature can affect the sperm quality.
- Exposure to toxins like lead and agriculture pesticides can affect the fertility.
- Anabolic steroids affects testosterone levels and in turn can affect sperm production and quality.
- Avoid stress and maintain a proper weight. High stress and overweight both affect male fertility. Keeping a BMI of 20-25 is optimum for improved sperm production.
- Taking a diet rich in zinc (meat, sea food, whole grain and eggs) selenium (meat, seafood, mushroom and Brazil nuts) and vitamin E can improve male fertility. Fresh fruits, Green Tea and Ginkgo are good for male fertility.
- Finally avoid using lubricants especially with spermicidal agents that can kill sperms. Also use of soap and other water based lubricants can significantly reduce the sperm motility. Use of canola or peanut oil is preferred over these lubricants.
Male fertility can be affected by many other factors than those mentioned above.Consult your doctor for any underlying causes.
- Semen analysis may be prescribed to assess the sperm count, shape and motility. Azoospermia, a condition where no mature sperm at all present can be corrected by surgery. Other infertility conditions like retrogade ejaculation, anti-sperm antibodies and Varicocoeles can be analzsed and corrected by having a thorough physical and genetic evaluation. .
- For a fertile man, sperm count of 16 million is normal and anything below 5 million is cause of infertility. sperm counts in 5-16 million range are cured with fertility treatments.
Can't find the health info you are searching for?